Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Jons Amazing Birthday

From Songkran

So this past April 13th was my 30th birthday. I won't dwell to much on the landmark age of 30 but I would like to note that it was one of the most interesting birthdays that I have experienced. From sun up to sun down the streets were full of people celebrating, dancing, singing, playing music, eating, and most obviously dowsing each other with water. It was amazing. There was not a cloud in the sky, yet the streets were soaking wet. There were people stationed on the side of the road with water hoses and buckets of water and there were people (like us) driving around in trucks armed with big barrels full of water, buckets, and water guns. Every ones chief aim was to throw as much water and soak as many people as possible. I would like to say that this was all in honor of my birthday but the truth is that my birthday just happens to fall on the Thai new year and the first day of the three day water festival called Songkran. The copious water throwing symbolizes blessing and was much more tame, with light sprinkling of water between family and friends. Now a days it is an all out soak fest between strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment